Thursday, October 27, 2011

Sports

The first interaction I truly had with sports was actually in a gym, and had nothing to do with a ball or game for that matter. I was standing in front of the junior high school I am currently helping at for the first time. I had just finished my speech when I was instructed to stand in place.
I watched as a group of male students came up in front of the stage and began to yell, loudly I might add, for me to ganbare. I later came to find out that this was part of a much larger cheering scheme that involved the entire school. The first picture is exactly of that. It was a large sporting event where students from all of the schools in the area came together to compete with each other. What was most interesting about this was that the students, not only attended the event, but also cheered for their classmates. The entire time! Students were everywhere.Before this event, I remember walking into the gym to see all of the students working on their cheers. I asked my sensei why all of the students partook, and he said that it was mandatory. He said that it built school spirit. I found this interesting as there is a lot behind this idea of ‘team spirit.’
It is this very idea that pervades a lot of the Japanese school system. Students are constantly being forced to coexist and stand together through activities, sports, and clubs. It is through these facets, especially sports, that the students form bonds with each other. They all learn the same cheers and stand before their classmates supporting them in their endeavors even though they aren’t competing.

No comments:

Post a Comment