Monday, October 31, 2011

Gender

Male and female are both dichotomies that we have all heard before. However, I feel as though, throughout my lifetime, this concept of gender as simply biological has been challenged again and again. This strong dichotomy, however, seems to exist in a different way in Japan. When it comes to the classification of gender in Japan, I feel as though it is much more role based than that of American society. Although this idea might exist within American culture, I feel as though physical appearances weigh more heavily in American culture than that of Japanese. This being said, I have to admit that there have been times where I have done things that I thought to be extremely feminine, where Japanese people have hardly cared at all. But if the biological gender holds less importance here, then what is it that makes the man, man and the woman, woman? Through my experience, I have noticed the first separation in that of the chorus. The students separate by voice range. This same idea, as I have heard from my sensei, is the reason that the students stand boys and girls. It is also the reason for the separation in the classrooms. I feel as though this contributes a lot to the idea of roles. The students are separated, and come to understanding the difference through these placements.

No comments:

Post a Comment